On the weekend I decided to give this recipe a try: http://themuffinmyth.com/2015/02/23/slow-cooker-lentil-shepherds-pie/
Mine may not look pretty, but it tastes AMAZING!!
I have doubled the ingredients from the muffinmyth because I wanted the food to last for the week. I have also omitted the peas.
- 2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 stalks of celery, diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 cups puy lentils, picked over and rinsed well
- 2 can (400g) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups mashed potatoes (I used regular white potatoes, about 6 large ones)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup vegan milk
First, add all of your veggies, and spices to the slow cooker. Cook on medium for about 8 hours or high for 6 hours.
Once the liquid becomes fairly absorbed, cut up your potatoes and boil them. Once the pieces are soft to put a fork through, drain the water. Add the butter and begin to mash, slowly adding the vegan milk. Be careful not to add too much milk as you don’t want your potatoes to be too runny.
I placed the lentils from the slow cooker into separate Tupperware and topped with mashed potatoes. These made the PERFECT lunches.